Live Seminars (Coming Soon)
- Live Seminar dates to be posted soon.
- Highlighting Guide
- Instructor Support
- Tablet / Phone Compatible
- Practice Exams
- Study Tips
- 1 Year of Access
Your state exam is open book. To Our online exam prep is available 24/7. Study from your home or office with an instructor presenting the information to you online.
- Fast Shipping
- Lowest Pricing
- Printed Tabs
Requirements to Obtaining your License
A contractors License in Tennessee is required for projects that exceed $25,000.
- Anyone seeking to become a contractor in Tennessee is required to sit for two exams, business and law and the trade.
- Please note that the Limited Licensed Electrician and the Limited Licensed Plumber classifications do NOT require the business and law exam to be passed.
- Workers Compensation is required
- If your monetary limit is up to $500,000, you will need to provide $100,000 coverage.
- If your monetary limit is $500,001 - $1,500,000, you will need to provide $500,000 coverage.
- If your monetary limit is greater than $1,500,000 you will need to provide $1,000,000 coverage.
Work that can be Done Under this License
A residential contractor’s services are limited to construction, remodeling, repair, or improvement of one, two, three, or four family unit residences that do not exceed three stories in height. This license excludes all electrical, HVAC, and plumbing work.
Applying to get your LicenseAn application for licensure can be obtained from the Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors by calling 1-800-544-7693. The licensing and application fee is $250.00.
Reciprocity AgreementsTennessee has limited reciprocity agreement with the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina and South Carolina.
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
- The testing company is PSI (1-800-733-9267)
- 100 questions and an 4 1/2-hour time limit
- 73% is required to pass the exam
- The exam fee is $57.
- Topics on the exam include sitework, footings, and foundation; concrete and concrete reinforcement; masonry; carpentry; metals; roofing; associated trades; general code; plan reading and estimating; and OSHA safety
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2012 International Residential Code
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- Guide to Good Practice for Wood Trusses
- Contractors Guide to Quality Concrete
- Roofing Construction and Estimating
- Modern Masonry
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting
Exam Review, Training, Education
Online Training: The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program is narrated.
Online Class Price: $199.99